- About Homelessness
- News & Events
- Take Action
- About Us
- Ramping Up Rapid Re-Housing Series
Attention Funders: Don’t Miss the 2nd Annual Funders Institute this July
June 25, 2014
Today’s blog post was contributed by Bevin Shagoury, Program Manager, Administration and Special Initiatives at Funders Together.
Have you ever attended a conference, seminar, or workshop where you found yourself less than engaged? Chances are, you’ve been there more than once. So what is it that makes a conference or session memorable and worth the time to attend?
At Funders Together to End Homelessness, the only national network of funders working to end and prevent homelessness, we know that it’s a combination of elements. Interactive sessions, invigorating speakers, and information sharing that can help take our work to the next level are just a few key components. Each year, we look forward to attending the Alliance’s national conference on Ending Homelessness. The conference is an opportunity to be inspired by and learn from the amazing work of national and local government partners, advocates, service providers, community members, people with lived experience, and of course, funders.
Funders are often seen as behind-the-scenes supporters of the key players working to end and prevent homelessness, or sometimes as outside of the group entirely. But we know that philanthropy is a critical piece to the puzzle, and funders cannot sit on the sidelines. Philanthropy plays important roles in developing and nurturing key relationships within and between communities, encouraging data collection and sharing, challenging other funders to make strategic investments that foster long-term change, and supporting us all (including funders!) in our roles as advocates.
Last year, in conjunction with the Alliance’s national conference, we launched our first Funders Institute to provide funders with a space to learn from each other and make connections. This year we’re thrilled that our 2014 Funders Institute will be a full-day session, leaving more time for funder-focused learning and networking with an emphasis on ending and preventing homelessness.
Below are some of the highlights of this year’s Institute:
- Interactive TableTalk sessions on Funders as Relationship Builders, Funders as Strategic Investors, and Funders as Advocates
- “FED Talk” focusing on philanthropy's role in working with government, featuring Cecilia Muñoz, Assistant to the President of the United States and Director of the White House Domestic Policy Council
- Funders Acting Boldly (“FAB”) Talk featuring Kollin Min of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Many opportunities for open networking with government partners and other funders
- Team-building, solutions-based case studies
- The unveiling of Funders Together to End Homelessness's National Initiative on Youth Homelessness
If you’re a funder, you won’t want to miss this year’s event. Click here to learn more about the day and RSVP. And if you’re not a funder, we want to hear your story. How do you work with funders in your community, your state, and nationally to catalyze change? Tell us more.
We look forward to seeing you all at this year’s NAEH conference!