|Senate HUD Funding Bill Expected Soon|
|Congress is set to return from its Spring Recess next week, and the Senate is likely to begin considering its annual funding bills for fiscal year (FY) 2013 soon. The Senate Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Appropriations Subcommittee is likely to release and vote on its FY 2013 HUD funding bill shortly - possibly as soon as next week!|
We need YOUR help! Please contact your senators THIS WEEK and urge them to work with the leaders of the HUD Appropriations Subcommittee to ensure adequate funding for key affordable housing and homelessness programs, including:
- $2.231 billion, as requested by the President, for HUD's McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Grants; and
- $75 million for approximately 10,000 new HUD - Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) vouchers.
These and other key HUD programs, such as Section 8, are critical for advancing the movement to end homelessness once and for all.
What You Can Do:
- Call your senators' Washington, DC offices RIGHT AWAY. Ask to speak to the person who handles housing issues. Congressional office phone numbers can be found by calling the congressional switchboard at 202-224-3121.
- Explain the importance of HUD's McKinney-Vento programs and HUD-VASH for your community. Ask your senator to work with his/her colleagues on the HUD Appropriations Subcommittee to provide the President's requested funding levels for these key programs.
- Tell us which office(s) you contacted by emailing Kate Seif at firstname.lastname@example.org.
While no specific date has been announced yet for the release of the Senate HUD funding bill, it is expected that the legislation will be released and voted on by the HUD Appropriations Subcommittee very soon, possibly next week. As a result, the next week or so is CRITICAL for impacting the funding levels proposed by the Senate. The timeline for the House to release its version of the legislation is still unclear.
Your voice is particularly important if your senator is a member of the HUD Appropriations Subcommittee. We hope we can count on you to call right away!