- About Homelessness
- News & Events
- Take Action
- About Us
- Ramping Up Rapid Re-Housing Series
DIGITAL COMMUNICATIONS SPECIALIST
The National Alliance to End Homelessness (the Alliance), a national organization recognized for its leadership in shaping policy, reforming systems and building the capacity of communities, is looking for a Digital Communications Specialist (DCS) to help grow the communications department and advance the organization’s communication strategy. The DCS will work closely with the Director of Communications to increase engagement, raise awareness and build support for the Alliance’s mission through its communications. This is a great opportunity for someone with a positive attitude, a fresh perspective and experience accelerating sustainable social impact who wants to join a team of passionate staff committed to ending homelessness.
The person in this role will manage the tactical execution for all multi-channel communication activities, both digital and traditional, for the organization. This is a position that requires an ability to think strategically and work with multiple teams within the organization.
Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Deliver the daily, front-line digital voice of the organization by writing, designing, managing, maintaining, proofreading, fact-checking, scheduling and executing all digital communications. In addition, the DCS will support policy objectives, media relations efforts, advocacy campaigns, and development programs.
• In consultation with the Communications Director and other team leaders, support the development and implementation of a digital strategy that supports and empowers the Alliance’s communications in order to advance policy and organizational objectives.
• Format reports, statements, blogs, and other published content.
• Create and develop media strategies and recommendations. Build and maintain media contacts and other valuable organizational relationships.
• Ensure that all digital content is aligned with policy positions and advocacy messaging objectives.
• Conceive, draft, and design sharable content and visual elements.
• Engage with and empower the Alliance’s audience – across all platforms - to increase the size, reach, action, and influence of our reach.
• Collaborate with the Policy, Advocacy, Research, Capacity, and Development teams to ensure that all public facing digital communication effectively supports and serves organizational priorities and objectives.
• Help manage, support, implement, track, and report on programs and campaigns. Analyze and evaluate digital communications and social media in order to continually increase their impact and effectiveness.
• Support and service the communications needs of development, fundraising campaigns, and other core organizational programs.
• Manage email and constituency databases and execute mass email blasts and digital newsletters.
• Help develop and maintain electronic press kits, development presentations, and other communication tools and digital presentations.
• Ensure the usage and integrity of the Alliance’s brand by observing visual and descriptive standards.
• As needed, edit and proofread op-eds, articles, reports, profiles, blogs, and emails.
• Help to manage, coordinate, and write blogs and other web content.
• Other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
• Enthusiasm for working on the goal of ending homelessness in the United States.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least 2 to 3 years working in a front-line professional digital and strategic communications capacity (including writing and posting daily in social media), communications, journalism or other related profession.
• Strategic media relations experience.
• Superior writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills.
• Superior task management, information management, and organizational skills.
• Superior interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively in teams.
• Tech savvy, ability to quickly adopt new social media platforms, and fluency in the social media landscape.
• Track record of success using the formats, tools, most current tactics, and best practices for social media in today’s media landscape, including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, Tumblr, Storify, Thunderclap, blogs, and other multimedia formats and digital platforms.
• Experience executing day to day social media activity, including the use of Hootsuite.
• Organization, ability to effectively work in a fast-paced, rapid-response environment, and ability to balance multiple projects and tasks while meeting expected deadlines.
• Ability to rapidly master new services and tech tools related to communications, media relations, campaigns, and analytics.
• Familiarity with basic HTML.
• Graphic design skills.
• Experience with mass email services and systems, including designing and disseminating email newsletters and tracking their analytics.
• Experience with analytics and evaluation, including Google Analytics.
• Experience with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite tools, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop.
• Experience using Meltwater and other communications and media relations tools preferred but not required.
Designation: Full-time, regular, exempt
National Alliance to End Homelessness